Dec22ThuDecember 22, 2016
Luke 2: 15-20
Christmas Sunday presents us with the privilege of celebrating the birth of Jesus.
Today is a special time to renew our commitment to Him and celebrate our life in Jesus
Background – Luke 2: 15-20
· The angels that appeared and sang for the shepherds were gone
· The shepherds thought and talked about what they had seen
· Sleep was not an option so they took a night time walk into town and found the stable
· ‘Let’s go see the thing that the Lord has told us about’
· They found Jesus and told everything that they had heard
· ‘All who heard were amazed’
· ‘Mary treasured up all these things and pondered them in her heart’
· The shepherd returned celebrating God and their new understanding and appreciation of Him
Thinking about Christmas
1 Joy of Christmas
· The contented feeling of young parents just after the baby arrives safely
· Holding and bonding with Jesus
· A couple of hours to adjust to this new reality
o What changes will this bring?
o What will we do?
o Is something bigger happening here?
· The arrival of the first visitors
· Others may have heard the voices and commotion and come too.
2 Message of Christmas
· Shepherds came – quiet or noisy? Did they wake up the baby?
· They tell about the angels – what they had seen and heard
· Found the baby in a manger just as they had been told
·‘Saviour is born’
·‘Christ the Lord’ – Messiah
3 Wonder of Christmas
· Amazing confirmation of what Mary and Joseph had heard months ago that no one else knew
· They are trying to take it all in
· Ponder – think about carefully, contemplate, consider, review, weigh carefully
o Take it all in
o ‘I must remember this’